Welcome To My Blog

Welcome to my blog! I invite you to enter into the splendiferous world of the library where I will share my knowledge and love of books I have read, as well as send out praise to the authors of these treasures. Most of the books reviewed on my site will be Teen or YA Sci-Fi/Fantasy, though every now and then I'll throw in an adult book just to shake things up.



Friday, March 4, 2011

Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr


From GoodReads: The Summer King is missing; the Dark Court is bleeding; and a stranger walks the streets of Huntsdale, his presence signifying the deaths of powerful fey.
Aislinn tends to the Summer Court, searching for her absent king and yearning for Seth. Torn between his new queen and his old love, Keenan works from afar to strengthen his court against the coming war. Donia longs for fiery passion even as she coolly readies the Winter Court for battle. And Seth, sworn brother of the Dark King and heir to the High Queen, is about to make a mistake that could cost his life.
Love, despair, and betrayal ignite the Faery Courts, and in the final conflict, some will win . . . and some will lose everything.
The thrilling conclusion to Melissa Marr's New York Times bestselling Wicked Lovely series will leave readers breathless.

It was about two years ago, I was still pretty new to being a librarian, when we received a box of teen books from our book supplier.  In that box was Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr.  The cover was intoxicating, drawing me to it like a moth to a flame.  I took it home that night and within mere hours had devoured ever page.  It was only after I read Ink Exchange that I found out it was part of a series, the second book in the series to be exact.  I immediately had my library director order Wicked Lovely and when it arrived, I devoured it also.  
I waited (impatiently) for Fragile Eternity followed by Radiant Shadows.  I became an uber-fan of Melissa Marr, joining her fan forum, Rath and Ruins, traveling over 6 hours to go to one of her signings, and have since bought almost every anthology that she has a story in.  Needless to say, I was heartbroken when I learned that Darkest Mercy would be the final book in this series.  I was terrified that she would end the series with some things unfinished, too many questions left unanswered.  I worried that she would kill off many of the characters I had fallen in love with over the years.  Darkest Mercy, I was afraid, was going to be a huge let-down and leave me highly upset.
I was shopping in Wal-Mart the weekend before Darkest Mercy was set to be released, and I wandered into the book section as I always do.   As I walked the aisle browsing the covers and titles of the same books that had been there the last few times I was there, I saw a cover that was familiar to me peeking out from behind another book.  I moved the book in front to see what had caught my eye.  Low and behold to my shocked and awe-struck eyes was a copy of Darkest Mercy.  Of course, it went straight into my cart, into my car, and home with me.  I went straight to my bathroom when I got home, started a bubble bath, and got in the tub with the book.  I lay in that tub for three hours (adding more hot water when necessary of course) and read the entire book from cover to cover.  
It is with great joy and relief that I tell you now that I was wrong to be worried, stupid to have ever doubted Melissa Marr's ability to write a brilliant story, and I am completely, utterly, ridiculously speechless with Darkest Mercy.  Not only did Melissa Marr tied up every single loose-end, but she filled this story with absolutely brilliant scenes full of action, adventure, emotion, adrenaline, and heart-wrenching  details, down to the very last page.  I am in awe of how she put in twists and surprises that not only did I never see coming, but I couldn't believe were happening even as I read it.  
Melissa Marr is truly one of the most brilliant, original, unique, thought-provoking, and addictive writers I have ever had the pleasure to not only read, but also meet.  I can tell you that, without a doubt, her books are some of the best out there and you should DEFINITELY get your butt out there and get them if you haven't already.  I also recommend that you go to one of Melissa Marr's signings to meet her, she  is honestly one the the most entertaining, honest, and caring authors out there and deserves all the support and adoration that her fans feel for her and her work.  Give her a chance if you haven't already, you won't be disappointed I assure you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment