Welcome To My Blog

Welcome to my blog! I invite you to enter into the splendiferous world of the library where I will share my knowledge and love of books I have read, as well as send out praise to the authors of these treasures. Most of the books reviewed on my site will be Teen or YA Sci-Fi/Fantasy, though every now and then I'll throw in an adult book just to shake things up.



Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Stork by Wendy Delsol

From GoodReads: Sixteen-year-old Katla has just moved from Los Angeles to the sticks of Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, she learns to her horror that she’s a member of an ancient order of women who decide to whom certain babies will be born. Add to that Wade, the arrogant football star whom Katla regrettably fooled around with, and Jack, a gorgeous farm boy who initially seems to hate her. Soon Katla is having freaky dreams about a crying infant and learns that, as children, she and Jack shared a near-fatal, possibly mystical experience. Can Katla survive this major life makeover and find a dress for the homecoming dance? Drawing from Norse mythology and inspired by The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen, debut author Wendy Delsol conceives an irreverent, highly entertaining novel about embracing change and the (baby) bumps along the way.

So I read this book in anticipation of meeting author, Wendy Delsol, this coming Saturday.  She is indeed from my home state of Iowa and will be signing Stork at both of my libraries this weekend.  I didn't know what to expect with this book going in, but not far into I realized that it was right up my alley. 
I loved Stork's originality in it's storyline, characters, and even setting.  Not often does an author in the Teen/YA Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre stray from the typical vampires, werewolves, fae, spirits, etc.  I really enjoyed the mythology behind it, as well as the intermingling of old and young characters.  I found this book to be a really fun read and can't wait to read the next book in this series, Frost.
(Also, not to pimp my libraries, but if you are in Iowa and want to meet Wendy Delsol, she will be signing this Saturday, November 13th at the Pomeroy, Fort Dodge, and Rockwell City Public Libraries!)

No comments:

Post a Comment